Friday, October 21, 2005

Shimmering Gaze

The Full moon is still in the sky when I wake. I take my time bathing and wear a simple dress of pale blue cotton and my summer cloak.

The Enchantress takes a small group of us on a hidden path. We wait in a shadowy grove. One by one we disappear into the trees.

Quietly, the Enchantress nods to me it’s my turn. I set onto the footpath and turn into a clearing.

The lake is peaceful and wide. The water reflects the coming day. Cranes in the reeds search for food.

I breathe in the cool morning air. Mist collects and drifts across the water. I smile contentedly and remember why I am here.

I settle myself near the edge gazing into the water, my reflection still. As I suspected, just boring old me. A shimmer slowly cuts the water like a shiver.

A bear appears. I know this bear. It is me, when I was afraid living in Los Angeles. It’s like an old friend, I had forgotten.

In mid thought the water ripples again. A distant echo…A whisper

Shinjo

A dark silhouette with horns, looms into view. A samurai in gleaming woven armor. My samurai ancestor.

But it is me just me.

He whispers: Be brave. Go forward without regret.

My ancestor looks at me from the reflection. I see his blazing eyes.

The image softens and it is my eyes. I nod to myself and my ancestors that are beginning to haunt me.

They are really trying to impart me with their knowledge. They think if they keep repeating the words I will hear them better.

I do hear them.

And I am pleased they still care even in the otherworlds. I imagine they watch me like a soap opera.

They give me vision beyond myself and the reflection smiles.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home